The best time to go boating in Canada is from May till September. At this time of the year, the water temperature is too low, creating the ideal boating condition. This season is exciting for boat lovers because the sky is clear and blue, and the sun is shining warmly.
Make your voyage pleasant by ensuring certain requirements are met, and precautions have been taken. Many boaters don’t pay much attention to the valuable items they leave on board. When they bring the boat on shore, a few forget to secure the trailer with a lock. Then, there are those who leave their boat unattended and go to eat. You might get caught up in the thrill of the boating season, but this doesn’t mean that you overlook simple precautions.
According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB), in 2011, there were around 6,070 watercraft thefts. So, what can be done to prevent this?
Let’s take a look at some tips:
- When exiting the boat, take out the keys from the ignition and lock your cabin
- Store or remove expensive personal items and detachable equipment when you are docking at an unknown place
- Lock outboard motors with high-quality locks (The sight of these locks deters thieves)
- If you have a large boat, such as a yacht, install an alarm in the cabin. A boat docked at a marina is protected in many ways, but on a floating dock outside your lake house, you need all the protection you can get
- If you are docked at a marina and plan to stay in the area for a couple of days, remove all valuable items from your boat
- Keep your boat registration, trailer ID, and hull ID on you at all times. If your boat gets stolen, you will need all these documents to file a report with the police. These documents will also help them identify your boat.
Buy Waterproof Floatable Bags
Today, you will find plenty of waterproof bags online or on the market specifically made for voyages. Here are a few features you need to look for in the waterproof bag:
- The material of the bag should be 100% waterproof. It should either be heavy-duty vinyl or polyester, which also keeps valuables safe from sand, dust, and dirt
- The bag should fight quick submersion when it falls overboard
- The bag needs to be floatable so that it is easily visible at all times
- The bag should be durable and not punctured or ripped
- The bag should be lightweight
- The bag should be easy to clean
- The bag should have padded shoulder straps so that you can carry it comfortably
All big boats have a storage bin under the helm. You can create a secure storage area by adding a lock to it. You can also buy individual storage lockers that are designed for boats.
Visit the Nor Col EZ Dock website and browse their products section for floating docks or do-it-yourself docks. They even offer industrial floating docks and other boating accessories to modify your fixed dock. For more information, call (800) 654-8168.