If you are planning to get a new dock for your lake house, we have plenty of suggestions. The type of construction material you choose will play an important role in its durability. One of the things that many dock owners are concerned about is maintenance. They don’t want to spend thousands of dollars and countless hours washing, staining, and sealing the dock.
Based on this, the best docking material is aluminum!
You will find plenty of brands offering designable docks but what takes priority is their range of materials.
Let’s take a look at some of the other dock materials to help you understand why aluminum is the best option:
Offers durability but plenty of surface downfalls.
Compared to natural wood, composite lasts longer, but it has some disadvantages that do not make it a good choice. These include the material getting hot, needing maintenance, and being extremely expensive.
An inexpensive option but requires high maintenance.
If you are looking for natural beauty, treated wood is the best option. It comes in different colors and types and does not cost much. However, it needs to be stained annually to avoid rot.
Plastic and Vinyl
It is available in various colors but is brittle.
Plastic is the cheapest decking option! However, it gets uncomfortably hot and is susceptible to cracking under pressure.
It is one of the most expensive decking options.
Modified wood doesn’t get hot, does not require regular maintenance, and lasts longer. However, it has less moisture, which makes it susceptible to fire.
It is low maintenance but a little more expensive than composite, plastic, and treated wood.
As mentioned earlier, most people prefer aluminum decking.
Why: Because it does not require maintenance.
Instead of using expensive marine-grade cleaners, you can clean your aluminum dock with pH-neutral, non-abrasive detergent and warm water. You can also pressure wash the platform without worrying about the material cracking under pressure.
The only drawback of aluminum is that it lacks character. It’s monotone and has no pizzazz, so if you want a simple option, go with aluminum.
Benefits of Aluminum Dock
- Durability: Aluminum is weather-resistant. It does not oxidize, which makes it resistant to plenty of elements.
- Sustainability: Aluminum is available in extremely large amounts in the earth’s crust. Even after being molded, it maintains its natural qualities.
- Value for Money: If you compare aluminum’s durability to its costs, you will realize it’s worth spending on.
- Environmentally-Friendly: Aluminum does not require any protective coatings. Hence, the use of aluminum as a dock material keeps the marine environment safe and free of chemicals that might harm aquatic life.
- Strong as Steel: Many companies use superior aluminum to ensure they deliver quality boat docks. Most of these docks are made of 6061-T6 aluminum.
Now that you know aluminum is one of the best dock materials, we suggest you find an expert to install your desired platform design. Most dock owners prefer floating docks because they can be conveniently maintained every season.
Nor Col EZ Dock offers various types of boat docks in sturdy materials. You can buy their plastic docks in Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and other cities. For more information, call (800) 654-8168.